Competition Rules 2023–2024
- Each team has five members.
- The minimum number of team members shall be four.
- The organiser of the home team will arrange the fixture, contact the questionmaster and organise a scorer, unless the questionmaster is happy to bring one.
- Each quiz will consist of nine rounds plus one 'quick question' round. The quiz will start with the quick question round.
- Questions will be answered alternately by each team, except in the quick question round, when each team will receive all ten questions consecutively and with no passing.
- The quick question round will consist of ten general knowledge questions to be answered within 70 seconds. Each correct answer will score one point.
- In all other rounds, the person asked the question will score two points for a correct answer. If the question is passed to another nominated member of the same team and answered correctly then one point will be scored. If the question is answered incorrectly, or the team is unable to answer it, the question will be passed to the other team, which will score one point for a correct answer. When a question is passed to the other team, the questionmaster should limit the time allowed since they have already had the time taken by the first team in considering the question.
- Once a team member starts to answer a question, he or she must complete it. The question cannot then be passed to another member of the team.
- If a team is 'under strength' the questionmaster will direct the question which would have been allocated to the 'missing' member (the 'empty chair') to a different team member in each round, starting in round 2 to chair 1 (the captain), in round 3 to chair 2, and so on. The final question in round 10 will be directed to chair 1. Correct answers will score two points. Questions passed or answered incorrectly will be treated as in Rule 7 above.
- The final round should not be specialised and should consist of general knowledge questions.
- The questionmaster's word is final in disputes.
- The questionmaster will aim to conclude the quiz by 10.00 p.m.
- All matches in the league should be completed by the end of May 2024.
- In the event of a tie on points between two or more teams when all possible fixtures have been played, the league championship will be awarded to the team that won the encounter (or most encounters) between the tied teams. Should that fail to produce a winner, the champions will be the team scoring the most points (in matches) in all their fixtures and then, if necessary, the team with the greatest difference in points scored and points scored against.
- A person may not play for more than one team in the same season.
(Changes to the rules made for 2022-23 have now been adopted into the rules. There are no material changes in the rules for this season.)